Monday, November 17, 2008

Presidential Reverence

President Elect Obama will be using the YouTube.com as well as his own website, change.gov in order to address the nation weekly. This sounds great. The thought of having a president that isn't sneaky or deceptive is almost unreal to me, I came of age during the Bush Administration. I am a history buff and I have learned about and studied presidents that are considered great, and this new policy by the President Elect reminds me of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Last March I had the opportunity to travel to Europe where I stayed in Paris, France for eight days. One of the things that I found incredibly unique about the city was their love for Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson. On one of the streets directly in front of the Eiffel Tour there was actually a statue of FDR. There was also a main road named after him.This was a road near the Arc de Triomphe named after Woodrow Wilson. Both roads met at the Arc in a circle, which is the largest round-about in the world.

Of course this is no surprize. Wilson and Roosevelt were considered great presidents, and of course the were the leader during WWI and WWII, both wars were France and the United States fought on the same side. The symbolizm behind all of this is what is important. To have an American President that can garner that type of respect and reverence in a forign nation is practically unknown to my generation, especially as far as the French go.

I hope that someday President Elect Obama's name will grace a foreign nation in a way that lasts forever. But in the meantime, I have decided to post his weekly notices on my blog so that all of my readers are sure to view them.



So, watch the video. Visit www.change.gov and lets make this administration something that is worth admiration.

1 comment:

razfmike said...

Nice one Bone one of these days I will visit a foreign land and hope we regain some semblance of respect as Americans..O's