Monday, November 10, 2008

Proposition 8

The passage of proposition 8, which will add an amendment to the California Constitution defining marriage as between one man and one woman, surprized many in California on Tuesday. I was one of them. Despite many people, whom I deem smarter than myself in this particular area, who said that they thought it would pass, I remained hopeful. To my dismay, Californians decided to deny fundamental rights to an entire group of people. I have decided to refer to this injustice as "California's Jim Crowe Laws," since basically, this new amendment is very similar to the laws which discriminated against blacks in the south for one- hundred years after slavery was abolished. The margine in which prop 8 passed was very small, but still a majority. According to several different newscasts the "Yes on 8" campaign was heavily funded by the Morman Church, mostly coming out of Utah. Also, a large number of African Americans voted yes on prop 8, as well as, (you will never guess) church goin' folk.

I was promted into a debate over the legality of prop 8. However, when this person only had "Biblical Facts" I had to gracefully bow out. I only argue based on United States Statues, the Constitution, and case law. Apparently, I am a minority.

I hope that the protest and lawsuits continue against the passage of prop 8. Prior to the election, I engaged in a political gathering, encouraging voters to vote "No" on prop 8. Sadly, our efforts failed and we now have the California Jim Crowe laws, denying fundamental rights. : (

2 comments:

TurboKitty said...

I understand that the verbiage of the bill led a lot of people to believe that they were voting in favor of same sex marriage...sometimes you need an english/lawyerese dictionary just to get through the ballots these days I swear...I am originally from California (South Pasadena to be exact) and it was still very liberal when I moved to Pahrump...Your grandfather is very proud of you and I have to tell you after reading your first blog and seeing your picture...he has every right to be proud...

Margery Kay Behrens
aka: TurboKitty

http://texex-xpress.blogspot.com/ said...

I'm stunned the Moron faith has so much clout in Cal (that's no typo). Must be the NevaDUH influence spilling over.

Better fumigate the place and raise border inspection criteria before it's too late. heh heh heh....